Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I am not fond of LTTE, it killed my father: Rahul

Puducherry: Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi Wednesday said he was not "particularly fond" of Sri Lanka's Tamil Tigers because they killed his father Rajiv Gandhi.
He told a press conference here: "The LTTE (Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam) is a terrorist group. I am not particularly fond of LTTE myself. It killed my father."
A LTTE woman suicide bomber assassinated former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi at an election rally near Chennai in May 1991. India outlawed the LTTE the next year.
Gandhi, however, said that India was doing its best to protect Tamil civilians caught in the conflict between the LTTE and the military in Sri Lanka's north. "We are trying to help the situation there," he said.

No comments: