Monday, March 16, 2009

I am not married, it was a rumour: Freida Pinto

This Mumbai girl has made India very proud. From Hollywood projects to being a brand ambassador along with being featured in every leading fashion magazine, Freida Pinto has arrived. She spoke to CNN-IBN's chief entertainment correspondent Rohit Khilnani about her herself, Slumdog Millionaire future projects, personal life and more.
Rohit Khilnani: It has been a long journey for you. Tell us about it.
Freida Pinto: It has been wonderful ever since I started on Slumdog Millionaire. It has been rewarding, we have had our ups and downs but I have learnt a lot in the last one-and-half years. And I know I wouldn’t have been able to do so had I not got this opportunity. In terms of growth it has been very helpful.
Rohit Khilnani: When did you realise that you had really hit gold with this film?
Freida Pinto: I don’t know about everyone else but for me it took a really long time to sink in. I remember at the SAG Awards I wasn’t expecting us to win. We were up against Milk and so many other big films. And all of a sudden when Anthony Hopkins announced Slumdog Millionaire for best ensemble cast that is when something just woke up within me. That is when I thought the big time has come. But there are times when I still take some time off and breathe in and wonder what just happened to me.
It is uncanny or surreal for me to walk around and see my face on the cover of Vogue and on posters and hoardings.
Rohit Khilnani: You have traveled a lot with the Slumdog cast. How was your equation with Rubina, Dev, Azhar and the all the others?
Freida Pinto: It was wonderful and this is what someone else was also saying. You know sometimes one is shooting a film and you feel this positive vibration circulating around the sets of the film and its cast. It is like magic happening. Though, none of us knew the magic would turn out to be the Oscars, BAFTA, Golden Globe and everything else.
There was a family bond in which everyone was encouraging each other. Nobody was pulling any person down. There was absolutely no ego issues. Everyone worked as a team and now when I think of it in retrospect, so much honesty was put into that film.
When we had to say goodbye to everyone it was very emotional. We had spent so much time together. I am still in touch with the kids because they are from Mumbai as well. They are busy with their examinations right now. They all are very ambitious and determined and I want to wish them the very best.
Rohit Khilnani: So the Slumdog team will always be in touch.
Freida Pinto: Yes, in fact we have already started making plans. I was speaking to Ashutosh and Tanay and they both were like “lets make a plan for September to Goa after our Board exams are over.”
Rohit Khilnani: How was life before Slumdog? What was Freida Pinto upto?
Freida Pinto: Before I auditioned for Slumdog I was hosting a travel show. I traveled all over South East Asia and I thoroughly enjoyed it. That was another experience that really made me grow. I had to take charge and go out there and in fact do exactly what you are doing. So I don’t regret anything. The struggle has made me understand all this a lot more and made success even sweeter.
Rohit Khilnani: Are you a real Mumbai girl?
Freida Pinto: Absolutely. I love the local trains, I love the auto rickshaws, I love the rains on Marine drive during monsoons. I have done everything that a proper Mumbaikar could do, I have been to rock concerts, I have bunked college and gone for movies at Regal, Metro, so yeah, I am.
Rohit Khilnani: Yeah, I have read that you are famous at catching the very famous Mumbai locals?
Freida Pinto: I think I am, I think they should make a film on how to get into Mumbai locals.
Rohit Khilnani: How has life changes after Slumdog, have your cousins, friends started treating you differently?
Freida Pinto: No, they all are surprised. For them, the little Freida, who was a drama queen, who would blow things out of proportion, I mean every response of mine would be a dramatic response, so they are kind of used to the dramatics. But for this, they are very proud that one of their family member has achieved so much. They keep encouraging me to go out and continue to do what I have been doing.
Rohit Khilnani: Once you were there, which of your favourite Hollywood actress did you meet?
Freida Pinto: I did meet many of them, and every meeting was a revelation that these were the people whom you have watched and here they are before you and they look so different. For me Forest Whitaker came as complete shock, because if you see the last king of Scotland, he’s played a bad character , but when I met him, he is the sweetest most enduring person ever. He has this lovely smile, he congratulated us, he enjoyed the film, he enjoyed watching the kids, he said we did a fantastic job and I was even happier at that point of time that I was part of it.
Rohit Khilnani: Great, and any more actors that you have dealt and met face to face?
Freida Pinto: Quite a few actually. I met Kate Winslet, I met Penelope Curz, Anjelina Jolie and all these lovely people whom we admire back in India. And it was so funny, everyone looks so tall on screen and when I saw them all are so petite and cute. That was my revelation of Penelope Curz.
Rohit Khilnani: So you have never tried your hand at commercial Bollywood film, have you auditioned for any?
Freida Pinto: I have heard a couple of scripts and I have auditioned for a few, but I kept saying this to myself over and over again, and even my family knew this that I was very head strong in what I was going to do. You know, you always come with a mindset and that is tough to break. I kept saying it that unless and until my heart reaches out to a project there is no point in doing that project y. I mean, if I dint like Slumdog, than doing that six months of publicity would be like hell you know.
Rohit Khilnani: Would you sign a masala Bollywood film like Om Shanti Om or do you watch Bollywood films?
Freida Pinto: Of course. I do. DDLJ is my favourite film and will always be my favourite Bollywood film. I have grown up watching both, a fair share of Bollywood and Hollywood film.
Rohit Khilnani: Any Bollywood actors you want to work with?
Freida Pinto: Well quite a few. I would love to work with Irfaan Khan, I am so envious of Dev, I told him that you come from England, and you get to work with the cream of Bollywood, Irfaan Khan, Anil Kapoor and Saurav Shukla. I would love to work with Irfaan Khan. He has got such subtlety in his eyes, that just the blinking of it or shutting of it or the movement of his shoulders he is saying so much. He is just wonderful.
Rohit Khilnani: The best part about reaching this stage is that before starting a project it’s already in news, is it true or not that you have signed a Woody Allen film?
Freida Pinto: That is true, that is what I obviously because I announced it back in US.
Rohit Khilnani: So can you tell us how did that happen?
Freida Pinto: I auditioned for the film, somewhere around the month of February. My agent said that this is a Woody Allen project, why don’t you go and read for it. I did, and I got it.
Rohit Khilnani: Did you jump when you hear that it was a Woody Allen project?
Freida Pinto: Yes, I did jump and I do so for any director whom I have appreciated.
Rohit Khilnani: So is it true that you are the next Bond film?
Freida Pinto: Should I continue the rumour?. But yeah it is very flattering that, people think Freida Pinto is the next Bond girl, which is obviously not true. I really don’t know what the source of all of this is and would really one day like to write a book on it.
Rohit Khilnani: But you did go for the auditions of Quantom of Solace
Freida Pinto: No I didn’t. I don’t even know when the audition took place. And to be very honest, I haven’t even watched the film, which is a shame on me but I shocked when people say we saw her when she came for the auditions of the Bond movie.
Rohit Khilnani: But you are doing a lot of work apart from films, I mean apart from endorsements, you walked for D&G and walked for the Paris fashion week?
Freida Pinto: I didn’t walk for them D&G, couple of us were present at the show and we took pictures on the ramp. So everyone thought that I walked the ramp, but I I did not. I don’t think I will ever be able to do what the brave girls do on the six inches high shoes you know . I dint walk the ramp, but I did attend the Paris fashion week as well.
Rohit Khilnani: Is this true or false that signed you for a whopping amount?
Freida Pinto: False. I don’t know where that came from either.
Rohit Khilnani: And your going to leave India and settle in the US
Freida Pinto: Common, I am a proper Mumbai girl at heart, I am not leaving the city. I love New York and a new city that I like and I have experienced is Paris. But I am not moving anywhere as of now. I love to travel, and I would love to enjoy these lovely cities but am not moving. My family is in Bombay and I don’t think they want to leave Bombay either.
Rohit Khilnani: So, you’ll take a project, travel if you require and come back?
Freida Pinto: Yeah. This city gives me peace you know. I feel like homecoming every time I come back.
Rohit Khilnani: After doing Slumdog, which is a non-glamourous role and then doing Maxim photo shoot which is so glamorous, are you comfortable in doing variation of things?
Freida Pinto: As an actor I just need to be comfortable with whatever I am doing, If I feel that there is going to be some kind of a reservation, than there is no point faking it up. So depends upon what comes my way again, if my heart says do it. I’ll do it.
Rohit Khilnani: So, when you got back from all this publicity and the Oscars and everything, what did your parents tell you? They must be really proud of you?
Freida Pinto: They said, just fold your clothes and put it back in the cupboard. Obviously everyone enjoys the success, but the struggle is seen by my family and close friends. They say, we remember the days when you would come up to us and say nothing is happening. And then they have seen me saying, no I am going to do it. So they have seen both sides of it. So they were really happy you know that after so much of struggling and dreaming and hoping it has finally happened.
Rohit Khilnani: Hindi filmmakers have started approaching you?
Freida Pinto: False. Where are they? I would love to hear from them. I have not received any calls but yeah I do admire a lot of their work, I loved Dil chahta hai, there is something about that film that I can watch it over and over again. I love Rang De Basanti and then there is Bheja fry. It is quite nice. I think we do make a variety of films and they will be given the right attention that it deserves.
Rohit Khilnani: Right, so you have any free time and what do you do? You read? You listen to music?
Freida Pinto: I have no free time. The little free time I have I keep it for my family. You know I have projects, I have movies coming etc and I may not have time for my family.
Rohit Khilnani: While you were away, there was a lot of bad press. So how did you deal with that, though you maintained a dignified silence, your family read all that?
Freida Pinto: I strongly believe in this. If I feel, I have not done anything wrong, and then I don’t feel the need to justify it. So I decided to keep quiet about it. But when my family gets affected by it, than that becomes an unforgivable crime in my language. I feel nobody should be dragged into it. I feel media should be more responsible and give all actors and actresses their privacy. I was never a reader of page 3 magazines or columns. I always read fashion. No I kind of know how people go through it. I say kudos to them for braving it and still emerge successful. Sometime all you have to do is develop a thick skin and deal with it.
Rohit Khilnani: And how did your parents deal with it?
Freida Pinto: You know its really sad that your parents walk down the street and there are people asking them these questions, I can’t really stop the people. But yes, I have told my parents, please stop reading the gossip columns. Its not justified, but what can we do.
Rohit Khilnani: But now have you come to terms with it that stardom comes with a lot of baggage?
Freida Pinto: Definitely. I have come to terms with it. And I am dealing with it, with a more confidence and courage than before.
Rohit Khilnani: People say you were married?
Freida Pinto: False. I was not married and I am not even thinking of marriage
Rohit Khilnani: Great, tell me this, a recent Hindi film says you require luck with your hard work too, how much of it is true?
Freida Pinto: You cannot put in order you know, weather luck comes first, or hard work or struggle. I think it’s all a big team effort. Yes, luck plays an important part but you can’t negate the fact that there is struggle, there is hard work etc. So you get a lovely project, and you decide not to put any effort because you are lucky, then it surely won’t work. I got this project, I have struggled and I did not have any formal training, all my training I received is from Danny Boyle. So I put in my hard work.
Rohit Khilnani: You have reached places, this would be an understatement. But good luck Freida.
Freida Pinto: Thank you.

No comments: